Methodology

A detailed approach

Our data-based approach allows you to make an informed decision on selecting the best candidates to work remotely.

When embarking upon a flexwork initiative, many leaders have no clue where to start.

Criteria for participation in a telework program is often left to individual leaders to decide; some progressive managers may be too lenient, while others, fearing change or lack of control, may declare that none of their employees are a good fit.

Managers ultimately know their people best, but why not arm them with useful data to make informed decisions—and challenge them when their apprehension kicks in?

We approach workplace flexibility from a different angle. We look at the suitability of each employee’s Job Role, to ensure that the tasks for which an employee was hired can be completed effectively in a remote work environment. An employee reliant on special machinery (that is available only in the office) to do her job or an employee tasked with greeting corporate visitors in person may not be proper candidates for extensive remote work. Many employees, however, are tasked with multiple job responsibilities.  Our FlexMatch™ Suitability Assessments ask candidates to approximate the amount of time certain tasks require an on-site presence. The same employee who requires specialized tools may only need to do that task 60% of the time on the clock, meaning she could work remotely up to 2 days a week (remaining 40% of week), assuming all other tasks could be done off-site.

Additionally, we look at the individual’s Personal Competencies, to see if the employee possesses the traits we find common amongst successful teleworkers. A financial analyst who works on spreadsheets the majority of the time is a good fit to telework extensively, based exclusively on his job role, but it is equally important to understand how that individual would function in a remote work environment.  Is he a self-starter who possesses the drive to stay on task and work independently?  Are his communication skills conducive to working with on-site peers and keeping in touch with a leader he will likely see less of in person?  How comfortable is this employee using the different technologies provided to him (email, special software related to his job role, SharePoint), how comfortable is he in learning to use new technologies your organization may provide (video conferencing, IP softphone, etc)?

Lastly, we look at each employee’s Social Needs. At what point is this person no longer effective working remotely due to a need for team collaboration or lack of autonomy with their job role requiring managerial support? Some employees work very well in isolation, whereas others thrive off of working closely with their on-site peers; extensive telework may result in engagement and productivity issues for these employees.  In setting up your organization’s remote employees for success, it is important to find the sweet spot of remote days that enables teleworkers to stay engaged and productive.

flexprocess

Sound good? Select a plan to get started!